Friday, August 26, 2011

Gear Review: LED Lenser H7 Head Lamp

Occasionally you come across a product and you cannot help but say “Wow!”  I was in the market for a head lamp and had searched several internet sites and businesses for just the right one.  I would be using it for bowfishing at night, but I had a bit of urgency in a purchase since I wanted one for an upcoming alligator hunt that was over three years in the making.


Typically for bowfishing, if you are using a boat, you connect several high wattage lights to a generator.  The problem with this for alligator hunting is the alligators are much wearier.  The noise from the generator, as well as the brightness of the light, tends to spook the large reptiles, and the larger ones are even more skittish.  So my goal was to find a head lamp at a reasonable price that was not so bright as to scare away a big’un, but would be bright enough for my eyes to adjust and see the bow and site pins.
I would say scouting for the right gear is about as time consuming as scouting for the right body of water to hunt.  I made several stops at the big box stores (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) but most of the head lamps were in the 50 lumens of output light range or less.  This was not nearly enough for what I wanted to use it for.  I checked several outdoors outfitter stores that specialize in hiking and kayaking and found a few with up to 100 lumens, but the prices were exceeding $70.  Still, I was not satisfied.
Then one day I spotted a head lamp in a local home improvement store.  $49 suggested retail (it was on sale for $39), 155 lumens.  Uses AAA batteries.  The lamp was adjustable for the angle, brightness, and focus.  Too good to be true, but the price was in the right ballpark.
“Wow!”
The LED Lenser H7 was perfect for what I was looking for.  Being able to shift from floodlight to spotlight was magnificent.  Being able to turn down the intensity of the beam was astounding.  Being able to adjust the angle so as not to overpower my site picture as well as have it aimed to where my eyes naturally look was more than stellar.  Can you tell I love this head lamp?  Let’s put it this way, I went and bought a second one less than a week later.  Why?  Well the other guy in the boat needs a light too!
Now for the drawbacks.  Maybe I should say drawback, as I could only find one thing I was not impressed with.  The cover for the battery does not have that ‘snap into place’ feel to it.  That’s it.  The only thing I could find as a negative was the battery cover.
So if you are in the market for a head lamp, do not throw your money away on something that is just not going to fill your every need.  This light has enough adjustments that it can be used for any situation you would run into.  The LED Lenser H7 is definitely a buy!  You can visit http://www.ledlenser.com/ for more great lights and to purchase.

Want to read more reviews?  Bill Howard's Outdoors Reviews and GiveEmTheShaft Reviews


Bill Howard writes a weekly outdoors column for the Wilson Times and Yancey County News and the bowhunting blog site GiveEmTheShaft.com. He is a Hunter Education and International Bowhunter Education instructor, lifetime member of the North Carolina Bowhunters Association, Bowhunter Certification Referral Service Chairman, member and official measurer of Pope and Young, and a regular contributor to North Carolina Bowhunter Magazine.

12 comments:

  1. Disagree about the battery cover. It is soft but obviously durable rubber and conforms to the shape of the back of your head. It is not loose or excessively tight. The strap gives added protection as it presses the cover into place. I actually like the cover design very much.

    A great deal of thought went into designing that cover IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blogs and I’m impressed! Very helpful information specially the remaining part I care for such information much. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.
    Carson sirens sc-1022

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought another good headlamp - Armytek Wizard Pro. Really bright light, small but powerful. It needs one 18650 battery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This head lamp is great. I also have bought one which I cannot live without. So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just looking for such a head lamp. Thanks for recommendation. I will try it.

    ReplyDelete